Completing Your USPS Form 1583 (CMRA Form)
Why It Is Needed
USPS Form 1583 authorizes a CMRA (commercial mail receiving agent) to receive mail on the customer’s behalf. The completed form is required before anyone can give you a mailbox.
Filling Out Form 1583
The form is broken down into three sections: the CMRA information, the mailbox and owner information, and optionally the business information.
The CMRA Information (Box 4)
This information is generally filled out by the CMRA, so you do not need to concern yourself with most of this. It shows to whom you are authorizing mail delivery.
Mailbox Owner and Optional Business Information
This is the information that you need to fill out. Most items are self-explanatory.
- Box 2: Write the full name that this mailbox will be receiving for.
- Box 3: Write your mailbox address.
- Box 5: Sign here to authorize us to receive restricted-delivery mail on your behalf.
- Boxes 6 & 7: Indicate the person who is applying for this mailbox. Normally, this is the same as the person who is receiving mail for this mailbox (see box 2). Be sure to include a phone number where you can be reached.
- Box 8: Write down the two IDs that you will use to proof your identity and the ID numbers. One must be a photo ID. You can find a list of acceptable IDs at the end of this article.
- Box 16: Sign the form (in front of a notary or Carr Workplaces team member)
Optional Business Information
If you are linking a business to your mailbox, fill out boxes 9-14.
- Boxes 10a – 10e: Add your business contact information. You may use your business mailing address or registered agent address as well. Use your home address if it is a home-based business. This information is only for VPM and USPS and is not available for others.
- Box 11: Indicate what product(s) or service(s) your business provides, such as “market research,” “consumer products,” “clothing,” etc.
- Box 12: Enter each member or employee who will receive mail here. Although names must have verifiable identification, we do not require you to provide a separate Form 1583 for each employee unless requested by us.
Notarize Form 1583
Check with your Carr Workplaces center team to have the CMRA form notarized. You can use NotaryCam online to notarize your CMRA with the use of your computer’s digital camera.
Following is a list of acceptable IDs as listed on the form:
- Valid driver’s license or state non-driver’s identification card
- Recognized corporate ID (your work ID)
- Student ID
- Passport, alien registration card (aka “green card”), certificate of naturalization
- Current lease, mortgage, or deed of trust
- Voter or vehicle registration card
- Home, health, or vehicle insurance policy
Social security cards, credit cards, and birth certificates are NOT acceptable forms of identification.
Download a Clean Copy of Form 1583
Download a clean copy of the USPS Form 1583 and print it out.